Print Portfolio

I'm a freelance writer, editor, and content marketer. I produce technology, business, and sports features stories, news articles, podcasts, video interviews, and on-air radio shows. Follow me on Twitter and LinkedIn.

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

I/O virtualization products, standards reduce network infrastructure headaches

Virtualization and blade server technologies have enabled a generation of consolidated computing devices capable of cramming extraordinary computing power into smaller form factors. But the increased processing power per square inch has brought about a new I/O problem: The pipes can't move data fast enough to keep up with today's processors. To address that problem, new I/O virtualization products and standards are emerging to extend PCI Express (PCIe) pathways to separate I/O devices. This allows multiple physical servers and virtual machines (VMs) to share I/O resources.

Read more

No comments: